This includes the airways that is the two lungs and its cellular unit - Alveoli and the blood.
Respiration includes :
- Inspiration ( in take of air to the lungs ) and expiration (exhalation of impure air to the external ).
- By these above two, exchange of oxygen and carbon di - oxide take place between an organism and the external environment.
- Utilisation of the inhaled oxygen for metabolism in the cells.
- Respiratory system also helps in phonation or formation of speech.
Defends against microbes AND traps and dissolves blood clots.
DISEASES of the respiratory system :
- HYPOXIA : This is deficiency of oxygen at the tissue level.
- ASTHMA : Is caused by increased air way resistance due to :
- Contraction of air way smooth muscle.
- Secretion of thick mucus from the air way cells.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases like chronic bronchitis, emphysema.
- These lead to destruction of alveoli and cause reduced oxygenation of blood.
- Eosinophilia, common cold, flu and Allergic Rhinitis.
Medicine used in the disorders of this system are BRONCAP, BRONCOF SYRUP, CHYAVANCAP, RESPOCAP, TOSKON GRANULES and ARJIT FORTE. BRONCAP AND BRONCOF SYRUP is the chief medicine in tackling all these disorders. CHYAVANCAP and ARJIT FORTE along with BRONCAP act as adjuvant and toners and strengthen the Respiratory System even at the cellular level.